Tottenham Hotspur vs. Paris Saint-Germain, International Champions Cup: Final Score 4-2 as Spurs Pull Away From 10-Man PSG



A crowd of 33,332 filled Camping World Stadium to watch two world soccer powers —Tottenham Hotspur from England and Paris Saint-Germain from France — face off in the International Champions Cup. Both teams played a very open game, scoring three goals in the first 20 minutes and six goals total in the game to really give the crowd their money’s worth in an eventual 4-2 Spurs win.

It started in the sixth minute after PSG’s Adrien Rabiot got past Tottenham’s Cameron Carter-Vickers and blazed past the American defender and in on goal. Rabiot then found Edinson Cavani waiting on the back post for an easy tap in and an early 1-0 lead for the French team.

Tottenham struck back just five minutes later as Christian Eriksen blasted a 30-yarder past PSG keeper Kevin Trapp to tie the game at 1-1.

Just seven minutes after that, a gaffe from Trapp gifted Spurs a second goal, as the PSG keeper tried to clear the ball from his own box and Eric Dier swooped in and deflected the ball back the other way and into goal, putting the English side up, 2-1.

The game calmed down a bit and not until the 36th minute did the next goal come, courtesy of Javier Pastore. Rabiot, again with the assist, put a beautiful ball into Pastore’s feet as he ran into goal. The Argentine controlled the ball, shifted it to his right foot, sending the incoming Tottenham defender flying, and curled it right into the roof of the net, tying the match just before halftime.

The second half began with sweeping changes from both sides. Tottenham brought on Harry Kane and Dele Alli, while PSG brought on Jese and Blaise Matuidi.

Just 22 seconds into the second half, disaster struck for PSG. A long ball looking for Kane went all the way back to Trapp in goal. He came out of his box to get it, but it hit his hand and deflected towards Kane. Trapp then took down Kane on his way to goal and referee Ted Unkel gave the PSG keeper a straight red card, leaving the French side down a man for the final 45 minutes.

Backup keeper Alphonse Areola was forced to come in and did a tremendous job stopping the onslaught of Tottenham’s attack and made some huge saves.

The 2-2 deadlock was finally broken in the 82nd minute as defender Toby Alderweireld blasted another long-distance shot, this one past Areola into the bottom corner, giving Spurs a 3-2 lead.

Tottenham added another in the 88th minute after PSG’s Matuidi was called for a handball in the box. Spurs were awarded a penalty and Harry Kane stepped up and smashed one down the middle to push the lead to 4-2 and effectively end the game.

Tottenham will head to Red Bull Arena in New Jersey to take on Roma on Tuesday, July 25, while PSG heads down to Miami to take on Juventus on Wednesday, July 26.

Here’s the Tottenham postgame presser:


Exit mobile version