USA vs. Ireland: Final Score 2-1 as Late Goal Sees Ireland Edge Young American Side



Bobby Wood scored with the last kick of the first half, but poor goalkeeping and a defensive slip allowed Ireland to comeback and beat the United States 2-1 in Dublin. It was a fairly evenly played match and the young Americans did well, but could not build on, or see out, a first-half lead.

There were quite a few changes from the Bolivia match-up. The biggest change was in goal, as interim Head Coach Dave Sarachan chose to go with Bill Hamid. Hamid has struggled to see the field this club season and it was evident in his performance.

The first chance went for Ireland. Jonathan Walters took a shot from distance that had Hamid diving to his left but luckily the shot went wide of the post in the 10th minute. About five minutes later, Ireland had another chance but the last pass was poor and Hamid was able to come out and grab it.

In the 23rd minute, Wil Trapp put a in corner in for the U.S. and Shane Duffy headed it out for another corner. Tyler Adams then took a shot from distance after Ireland failed to clear it. His shot looked goal bound but Rubio Rubin deflected the shot and it went over the bar for a goal kick. Minutes later, some nice passing from the Yanks led to Wood getting a shot off that went inches over the bar.

Ireland defender and captain John O’Shea lasted a little over a half hour before he was taken off to a standing ovation. After 118 caps, the 37-year-old played in his last ever game for his country.

Closing in on the end of the half Ireland had a free kick from 20 yards out after a sliding challenge from DeAndre Yedlin. Graham Burke hit the wall on the attempt, aiming for the near post. A few minutes later, Hamid fumbled a cross and got lucky that no Irish attacker was able to get on the end of it.

Then, out of nowhere, the U.S. got on the board off the foot of Wood on a free kick. Trapp put the ball in and found the head of Matt Miazga, who nodded it across the box. Wood did a fantastic job to get to the ball and get a foot on it, and put the Yanks up 1-0 at half.

The first chance for either team in the second half resulted in a goal for the home squad. Hamid came off his line on a cross from a short corner, ran into his own player, and missed the ball. With no ‘keeper in the net, it was an easy goal. Darragh Lenihan shot it but Graham Burke got the last touch just as it was about to cross the line.

Walters nearly doubled Ireland’s lead. With his back to the goal he made a quick turn and fired a shot from the top of the box. He had Hamid beat but the ball went wide of the post as well. The U.S. went right on the attack. A couple of passes later led to a Wood shot but it went right into the hands of the ‘keeper. A minute later, Weah rocketed a shot over the bar from inside the box.

In the 68th minute Hamid got beat again. Lenihan was called offside on the play, which was questionable, but Hamid’s lack of club game action was ever present as he should have easily made the stop.

It looked like the game was going to be a draw but the Boys in Green continued to fight and Alan Judge, who came on in the 89th minute, capitalized on poor defending from the U.S. to score the game winning goal in the 90th. After James McClean undressed Miazga, his touch pushed the ball into the path of the onrushing Judge, who blasted it with too much power for Hamid to handle.

Ireland was arguably the better side but there were positives for the U.S. and statistically the game was fairly even. Ireland ended up ahead on shots (15-13) but the U.S. had more shots on goal (5-3). The Irish did have a slight edge in possession (56%) and had three times as many corners as the Yanks (9-3).

The U.S. will be back in action again a week from today as the Yanks travel to Lyon to take on France.


Exit mobile version