Here we are at another beautiful Saturday morning! Too bad we’re also 18 days into May and the Lions have yet to manage a single point this month. The good news is the league’s newest team, FC Cincinnati, a squad that’s in a bit of a turmoil already, comes to town tomorrow afternoon. I’ve got the latest updates about that match and more for you.
Orlando City Preparing to Host FCC for the First Time
I think most of us are probably quite excited to see our Lions take on the new guys for the first time. Cincy (3-7-2, 11 points) visits Orlando City Stadium Sunday afternoon for a 3 p.m. showdown. The Mane Land’s Ben_Miller spoke to Bill Wolf of Cincinnati Soccer Talk for this weekend’s Intelligence Report. Ben answered some of his questions as well, and you should definitely take a few minutes to read the FCC pre-match point of view.
Orlando City released some more information about the brand new opponents, including the coaching situation as we get to know FC Cincinnati for the first time. Meanwhile, Head Coach James O’Connor updated us on the status of Nani and Carlos Ascues before Friday’s training session.
James O’Connor said Nani will participate today in training and “we’ll see” for Sunday. Ascues needs more time.
— The Mane Land (@TheManeLand) May 17, 2019
The club posted a short “Training Cam” video to Twitter that is worth checking out.
— Orlando City SC (@OrlandoCitySC) May 17, 2019
If you’re going to the match — and you should be — make sure to stop by the CITYiD stand by section 14 to check out the newest patches.
Ali Krieger Celebrates Her 100th USWNT Cap
I have to preface this by sending a huge congratulations to Orlando Pride defender Ali Krieger for finally getting her 100th cap for the United States Women’s National Team Thursday night. Krieger was seen all over Twitter on Friday, as the entire U.S. soccer community celebrated with her.
That 100th cap feeling 💯
Ali Krieger picked up her 100th cap last night during the USWNT's dominant win vs New Zealand 👏👏👏 pic.twitter.com/x0h1QIsYss
— FOX Soccer (@FOXSoccer) May 17, 2019
In other headlines, Jordan Culver of ProSoccerUSA.com provided an update about Kristen Edmonds’ injury.
Spent some time at Orlando Pride training this morning. Kristen Edmonds was there, she was off to the side doing some work. She’s wearing a brace on her left knee. pic.twitter.com/u7tMRxPwpQ
— Jordan Culver (@JordanCulver) May 17, 2019
Orlando City B Wins Against Toronto FC II
I never thought the day would come, but Orlando City B has won a game in 2019. The Young Lions not only won, but shut out Toronto FC II, 2-0 at home to earn their first win of the season. After scoring off of a counter attack right before the half, OCB held on to its lead and added another goal through a penalty kick to comfortable secure the victory. There has been little change in the lineups between weeks and the defense has improved each and every game. Congratulations to the players and staff. It’s been a long time coming.
Orlando SeaWolves Re-Sign Rojas, Lose France
A few of the Major Arena Soccer League teams have already been active since the free agency window opened earlier this week. The SeaWolves decided to join the party Friday, announcing the re-signing of veteran forward Osvaldo Rojas to a five-year contract. Rojas scored a career-high 23 goals with 10 assists for Orlando last season and was called “one of the league’s most underrated players” by General Manager Chris Kokalis. If you need to be reminded of Rojas’ skills as a goal scorer, the club put out this video on Twitter. In other news, forward Victor France left the SeaWolves on Friday, signing a three-year deal with the Baltimore Blast.
- There will be no Zlatan Ibrahimovic in Orlando when the Lions face the LA Galaxy on May 24, as he has been suspended for two matches by the Major League Soccer Disciplinary Committee for violent conduct.
- ProSoccerUSA.com has the Week 12 MLS preview if you’re interested in tracking the other teams around the league.
- Massimiliano Allegri is out as the head coach of Juventus.
- Orlando City partner club VfL Wolfsburg is taking a stand against homophobia.
— VfL Wolfsburg EN (@VfLWolfsburg_EN) May 17, 2019
- Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola says Antoine Griezmann won’t be joining his squad.
- Quite a few Premier League records were set during the 2018-19 season. FIFA 19 also released the EPL Ultimate Team of the Season.
- Finally, this week’s Chelsea update isn’t the best. Young midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek underwent successful surgery for his Achilles tendon injury and then took to Twitter to thank everyone for wishing him well. On a happier note, the Chelsea FC Women released an awesome compilation video of their 2018-19 season.
Enjoy your Saturday and get ready to scream for the men in purple tomorrow afternoon. Go City!