Welcome to your match thread for today’s meeting between Orlando City (7-11-14, 35 points) and the Philadelphia Union (11-12-9, 42 points). Neither team has won in its last five matches, with Orlando going 0-4-1 in that span and Philly entering on a 0-3-2 run. Both sides are also 3-6-4 over their last 13 games. But the Union are holding desperately onto sixth place in the East while the Lions are out of the postseason picture.
This is the third and final scheduled meeting in 2016 between the clubs. The Union grabbed the first meeting 2-1 at Talen Energy Stadium on April 8 on a late free kick by Tranquillo Barnetta. Yeah, you remember it. The teams drew 2-2 in the rematch in Orlando on May 25. After the Union broke a 0-0 deadlock in the second half on a goal by Barnetta off a set piece, the Lions roared back on goals from Kevin Molino and Cyle Larin to take a 2-1 lead. But Ken Tribbett scored when Joe Bendik batted away a corner kick that fell perfectly for the Union center back to slot home.
Orlando City is 0-2-2 in the series over two seasons, going 0-1-1 in two match-ups with the Union last season. The Lions drew 0-0 in the (then) Citrus Bowl on Aug. 8, 2015, and fell 1-0 in the season finale in Philadelphia on Oct. 25, in what turned out to be a meaningless, yet card-filled game.
The Lions are without center back David Mateos (torn MCL), who is out for the last two games of the season. Orlando midfielder Brek Shea injured a foot in training and is questionable. For the Union, defender Josh Yaro underwent concussion protocol but may be available for selection and Alejandro Bedoya is expected to be available despite dealing with sore ribs.
Here is your mandatory content to prepare you for today's match:
- Gavin Ewbank’s got your match preview and prediction.
- Our Intelligence Report gives us more about the Philadelphia Union from SB Nation's blog Brotherly Game.
- This week’s PawedCast has our key match-ups and more score predictions, as well as an exclusive interview with Orlando Pride Head Coach Tom Sermanni.
Orlando City (4-4-2)
Goalkeeper: Joe Bendik.
Defenders: Mikey Ambrose, Seb Hines, Jose Aja, Rafael Ramos.
Midfielders: Kaká, Antonio Nocerino, Cristian Higuita, Matias Perez Garcia.
Forward: Carlos Rivas, Cyle Larin.
Bench: Earl Edwards Jr., Kevin Alston, Tommy Redding, Kevin Molino, Servando Carrasco, Julio Baptista, Hadji Barry.
Philadelphia Union (4-2-3-1)
Goalkeeper: Andre Blake.
Defenders: Fabinho, Richie Marquez, Ken Tribbett, Keegan Rosenberry.
Defensive Midfielders: Alejandro Bedoya, Brian Carroll.
Attacking Midfielders: Chris Pontius, Tranquillo Barnetta, Fabian Herbers.
Forward: C.J. Sapong.
Bench: John McCarthy, Raymon Gaddis, Maurice Edu, Ilsinho, Warren Creavalle, Roland Alberg, Charlie Davies.
Ref: Ricardo Salazar.
AR1: Andrew Bigelow.
AR2: Jeffrey Greeson.
4th: Jorge Gonzalez.
How to Watch
Match Time: 3 p.m. (ET).
Venue: Talen Energy Stadium – Chester, PA
TV: TV27 (available locally only).
Radio: 104.1 FM Real Radio (English), La Grande 1030 (Spanish).
Streaming: MLS Live.
Match Thread Rules
This is your live thread for posting comments on the match. So use our comments section below to talk about the game in real time with other supporters. If you're new, welcome to our happy home! While you're here, please observe a few basic rules:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They can get us in trouble, and no one wants that.
- Try not to be "that guy" who spews nothing but venom and hate for the team. It's ok to be critical, and, let's face it, sometimes even the best teams can be frustrating to watch, but being overly negative relentlessly can sap the enjoyment for others.
- Keep it somewhat clean and fair when criticizing players / officials. You never know who might be reading.
- Do unto others in the match thread, the way you would have others do unto you. We are a fun community and want to keep it this way. We have a moderator, but we'd rather let him enjoy the game instead of having to play babysitter.
Finally, we don't have a rule against profanity but don't abuse the non-rule. Also, any language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you may lose posting privileges. We're all in this together.